Saturday, July 14, 2012

Jo Ann

Jan Shipps, Sojourner in the Promised Land: Forty Years Among the Mormons (see also: Sophronia):
 Graduate school regulations at the University of Colorado required me to use my legal name, hence the author’s name listed on both my thesis and my dissertation is Jo Ann Barnett Shipps. (I adopted Jan as a nickname in 1946, when, as a sixteen-year-old, I entered Alabama College for Women, now Montevallo University. I was housed in Old Main, a dormitory in which at least a dozen other students named Jo Ann were living. My adopted name stuck, and even to members of my own family I have been Jan since then. Jan is the name on my Social Security card and the IRS also knows me as Jan. But I still get the odd inquiry about who this Jo Ann Shipps might be.)
Three points:

  1.  I quite like, no joke, how she is compelled to make mention of the fact that her school changed its name, too.  
  2. A cursory review of naming data from Shipps’s year of birth, 1929, illuminates little the overall popularity of the name Jo Ann. I do know this, though: Joan was about as popular as Mia is now; there were a fair number of Josephines, many of whom I am sure were Josephine Anns who went by Jo Ann; there were, too, a sizable number of Joannes, approximately as many as there were Reagans or Kendalls in 2011; the just Jos roughly equal the current number of Aniyahs; Joanna, Johanna, and Josefina were each given to only 200 or so babies, which is about the same number of babies each named Promise, Unique, and Bonnie last year. 
  3. Jan, meanwhile, was given to a mere 45 female babies (and 28 male babies). There were more female Howards that same year.

No comments:

Post a Comment